Karen Kerkhoven Portfolio
is an Australian choreographer. Her recent work is based on contemporary art, installations and includes cross-art form. Sometimes conceptual as well as eclectic she draws on the surrounding environment, Zen and ‘zeitgeist’ of the day. Her creations are under the heading “Art In Motion”. Her background is influenced by Desiderius Orban her parents art teacher and philosopher artist and Claudio Alcorso.
Recent Performances and Projects
- “The World The Wind and I” finalist for Bewegter Wind 2010 Germany International Sculpture Competition.
- 2010 Solo Art Exhibition “REAL” paintings and video showing Peace Project, Hydra and Athens showing Buzz Bar Cafe Newtown Sydney.
- 8 years Contemporary Dance Jean Dembitza
- Post Graduate in Social Communications H.A.C.
- Classical Ballet Associate, Licentiate Cecchetti Method and Advanced Certificate.
- Master of Arts (Dance) U.W.S.
Study and Practice
- On going study and practice of visual creative arts an multi media.
- On going practice of contemporary dance, movement and improvisation.
- Regional Art Funding Quicks For workshop with Dumb Type (cross art form performance)
- 2006 Melbourne International Arts Festival.
- 2010 Seam Symposium
- 2 week Critical Path Intensive laboratory in an Interactive Media Environment, with< CHRISTIAN ZIEGLER developing a laboratory choreography.
- Karen Kerkhoven Peace Project, Athens 2009. see video
Awards and Commissions Choreographic Competition
- ‘Getting Clean’
- ‘For Gabrielle’
- ‘At Least I tried’.
- Jonathan Livingston Seagull
- Darwin Cyclone “I want to go back there”
- ‘Dreamtime’ National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Dance Theatre to original score by Colin Bright. Performed at Cell Block with live orchestra and later at The Opera House.
- Scholarship from Jacob’s Pillow to attend ‘Choreographers Workshop’ given by Bessie Schoenberg
- One Extra Dance Theatre ‘Speaking of Children’. Alice In Wonderland.
- AURA Dance Theatre, “The Butterfly Effect.”
- Created the Contemporary Dance Company to perform in schools in NSW. Funded by the Australia Council.
- ‘Heaven at the Hunter’ dance performances at four different Hunter Valley wineries based on the work of Joseph Campbell.
- ‘Higher Ground Workshops’ created to inspire artists to support each other and experiment with cross art form
- practice through the shared experience of time together in a rural setting in Coomba NSW.
- 2006 Artist In Residency for Ashfield Council
- Stipend awarded Can Serrat, Spain 2007
Performance and Choreography International
- 1994 Jacobs Pillow Outdoor Stage.
- 2004 Choreographed and performed ‘Beyond Bliss’ at the Southwest Texas Conference American Culture, Albuquerque, New Mexico under the heading Joseph Campbell Mythology.
- 2006 Site specific live art performance for ‘Atelier Azur”Italy with dancer Lisa Herrick.
- 2007 Site specific performance ‘We are Brothers After All,’Spain.
- Obras residency and gave a workshop for site specific dance work .
- Marble Sensations’ became the outcome of the workshop with dancers from Spain and Portugal.
- In Transit Hval Station Honefoss, Norway.
- 2009 2010 Choreographer for AURA DANCE THEATRE ”Butterfly Effect”
- A cultural exchange Lithuania and Lithuanian Festival, Sydney.
- Facilitator Art In Motion at ''Imagine Residency” havng hosted visual artists from America, Bulgaria, Helsinki, Canada, and Japan
Professional Performance as Dancer
- Tour of Singapore, Malaysia, Bankok, Hong Kong and Japan with Oh! La! La! Troupe from Paris,Dancer for Cabaret Channel 9 Liza Minelli 'Speaking of Children'The Contemporary Dance Company NSW touring schools for 4 years‘'Outside the Square’ Ashfield Council Residency, Olympic Live sites, Darling Harbour and Arts Trading, The Rocks, 'Waking Dreamer' Opera House Birthday Celebrations, Botanical Gardens.
- Invited to perform an Improvisation Solo for “The Impressionist Exhibition” Art Gallery of NSW
- Final Performance given by 'The Contemporary Dance Company” at the Art Gallery of NSW
- Gave a moving sculpture workshop for children the ‘Henry Moore Exhibition’ Art Gallery of N.S.W.